A Beach Permit For My Wedding - Do I Need One?

Q: We want to get married on a beach, do we need a permit?

A: The simple answer is yes. The State of Hawaii requires all individuals who wish to be married on a beach to obtain a Right of Entry permit.

There are many permittable locations within Hawaii State, which can all be learned by visiting: https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/ld/commercial-activities/ and clicking on Wikil Permit Beach Locations.

For the average couple, this is most likely not going to be something you will want to undertake, since the State of Hawaii requires a million dollars in liability insurance in order to secure this permit. However, most professionals, such as officiants and photographers already have this insurance, and will be able to obtain this permit for you as part of their wedding package process.

Once you’ve decided on your Wiki Location for your beautiful beach wedding, there are some conditions you will need to be okay with. You can learn about those on the same website: https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/ld/commercial-activities/ by clicking Frequently Asked Questions.

Some of the most common ones include:

Q: How many people can I have?

A: The State will only allow up to 30 people, which includes you and your ‘to be’ and all vendors. Most vendors only feel comfortable hosting about 20-25. All groups over this will require a special use permit application to the DLNR submitted in writing.

Q: Can we have alcohol, such as a champagne toast?

A: No alcohol is permitted at your beach wedding. Non-alcoholic champagne only. Remember, your officiant is securing a million dollars in insurance for your special day and is accepting responsibility for your event.

Q: Can we ask people to move out of our way if we have a permit for our wedding?

A: No, sorry. The general public has the right to be at the shoreline.

Q: Is there a time limit on the permit?

A: Yes, you have your permit for two hours.

Q: Can we set up tables, chairs, and tents for our ceremony?

A: No, you may not set up any structures. A few chairs may be set up for elderly or disabled persons.

Q: May we bring flowers?

A: Yes, you may bring loose flowers to create a flower circle, aisle, bouquet, or leis, etc. All flowers should be cleaned up and the area should be left as found.

Q: May we have music?

A: Unamplified music is allowed.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us as at Kona Wedding Officiant with any questions you have regarding your wedding planning process. We are happy to help you with any questions regarding your Beautiful Hawaii Beach Wedding. We are fully insured and able to obtain permits within the Wiki Permit system. All of our weddings include beach permits.

Kona Wedding Officiant plans intimate beach weddings along the Kona Coast. Simple beach ceremonies start at $250 and include your beach permit. To learn more about planning your perfect wedding day in Hawaii, visit http://www.konaweddingofficiant.com Connect with us anytime to plan your dream destination wedding at konaweddingofficiant@gmail.com or 808-209-6275

#beachwedding #hawaii #destinationwedding #hawaiibeachwedding #konawedding #destinationweddinghawaii

Design Your Own Package

Read Our Reviews

What Our Couples Say

"Deanna at Kona Wedding Officiant is amazing. My parents were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary and my siblings and I wanted to have a vow renewal ceremony for them on the beach with traditional Hawaiian chants. Everything was absolutely perfect from the beautiful beach location to her soothing voice. Thank You, Deanna for helping my siblings and I, give my parents a day they will remember."

- Roshan, Kikaua Point

Serving Kona, Waikoloa, and Hawaii's Big Island

  • Kona Wedding Officiant - Hawaii.com
  • Google+ Social Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon
  • Blog
  • Google Places Social Icon
  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon
  • Pinterest Social Icon
  • Yelp Social Icon
  • Vimeo Social Icon
  • YouTube Social  Icon

© 2019 Deanna Higgs DiMichele

All logos, images, and content on this website are property of Deanna Higgs DiMichele and are subject to copyright.  They may not be used without prior consent.  

Big Mahalo to Marissa Medina Leah Wright, Elisabeth Stapelton David Arias, Gerald Besson Photography, Big Island Films, Maher Misef, Chris Ward, for your photos and videos. ALL IMAGES & VIDEOS ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT.